Wednesday 25 February 2015

Kingsman




Rating: ●●

Certification: Strong Violence, Language

Genre: Over-the-top Action-Comedy

Stars: Colin Firth, Taron Egerton, Samuel L. Jackson

Director: Matthew Vaughn

Running time: 129 minutes

Alert: NO SPOILERS

Synopsis: A spy organization recruits an unrefined, but promising street kid into the agency's ultra-competitive training program, just as a global threat emerges from a twisted tech genius. Based on a comic book.

Review: Ulgh. Where do I start? This movie started off just fine. Funny. Entertaining. Then it became tedious (I can list about ten scenes that were unnecessary). Ridiculous amounts of violence and severed limbs which they try to portray in a cartoonish manner. However, the brutal scenes are so long, they stop being comical and become disturbing.

At least there are no gory sex scenes which seems to be the norm onscreen these days. I’m actually surprised the running time is only 129 minutes as it felt much, much longer. I slept on and off through the last 30 minutes and I don’t think I missed a thing.

There were definitely some unique ideas and good concepts in the film. It even gets you thinking about conspiracy theories and government schemes. But it drags on and becomes repetitive while making you wretch at all the glorified violence.

So this is more like a mindless, aggressive zombie movie (think World War Z) than it is an action James-Bond-type one. The trailer is misleading and so are the high ratings on IMDb and Rotten Tomatoes. People either loved it or hated it. I’m a hater.

Watch at your own discretion.

♡, Sana xx

1 comment:

  1. Hey Sana (this is Aaliya lol)
    I didn't mind the movie but I agree with your opinion on the violence. I actually had to get used to the fact that some of the action scenes were going to be so gory. That lady with the blade legs made me nervous... and the church scene was unnecessarily long. The story line of starting conflict to sell arms or whatever has been done over and over. I did find it really funny though. But afterwards, I thought about it and realised, that it was the comedic timing and profanity that made it funny, if those were absent it would be dry. The villain was amusing and refreshing but also predictable at times. Which brings me to the trailer, it lets you in on nothing, I didn't even know SLJ's character was the villain. The trailer was so different to the movie but at least the trailer didn't contain all the jokes like it does for some movies. I still enjoyed it though, had lots of good laughs but also "wth" moments.

    ReplyDelete