Thursday 26 March 2015

Insurgent




Rating: ●●●●○

Certification: PG13

Genre: Adventure, Sci-fi, Thriller, Action

Stars: Shailene Woodley, Kate Winslet, Theo James

Director: Robert Schwentke

Running time: 120min

Alert: NO SPOILERS

Synopsis: This movie is a sequel to Divergent (2014) and is part of a trilogy. Beatrice Prior must confront her inner demons and continue her fight against a powerful alliance which threatens to tear her society apart with the help from others on her side.

Review: I thought this movie was great! This is coming from someone who hated the previous movie and thought it was an uninspiring rip-off of Hunger Games, Maze Runner and The Giver. I don’t know which book was written first but all I know is I was seeing too much of the same thing and Divergent was the lamest of them all.

But, after seeing the Insurgent trailer I thought I’d give it a go and was glad I did! This sequel kept me interested, involved and entertained. However I found Tris (Shailene Woodley) to be extremely annoying in the first half of the movie and I couldn’t wait till she got punched in the face or something.

The movie relied heavily on the suspense surrounding the box (what is it going to reveal???) and it turned out to be a silly revelation- almost identical to The Maze Runner and The Giver. But it still made for a very enjoyable film with really good CGI and special effects.

The ratings on Rotten Tomatoes are very low, not sure why. I think people who are fans of the book were disappointed with the movie. I haven’t read any of them so I can’t comment.

Side note: The author of this book, Veronica Roth, is so young! Good for her. But I am starting to wonder how her books became a best seller when it’s almost identical to so many others released before it. A budding author myself, I strive to come up with ideas that are unique and original. I wouldn’t ride the coat tails of other people’s hard work- at least not in this undistinguishable manner.

, Sana xx

No comments:

Post a Comment