Banana peels have a lot of beneficial qualities. Think twice before you toss them in the trash.
Of the many uses, these are my two favourites:
1) Teeth Whitener: the manganese, magnesium and potassium helps whiten the enamel of your teeth without wearing it down. Simply rub the inside of your banana peel against your freshly brushed teeth for about 2 minutes every day. I’ve seen immediate results with this. After a week you will have pearly whites!
2) Skin: Banana peels help with acne and dry skin. Rub the inside of a banana peel on your skin in a circular motion for 2 minutes. Wait as long as you can before rinsing your face. If rubbed on a bruise, it will aid in making it disappear.
Some other uses which I haven’t tried but are popular:
3) Shoe Polish: Lightly rub the inside part of a peel around your shoe and then buff it with a white cloth. I wonder if this makes your shoes smell funny? But I see it recommended often so probably not. The peel's potassium (a key ingredient in leather polish) will be absorbed into the leather and diminish scoff marks, leaving your shoes looking brand-new.
4) Itch Soother: Banana peels can help relieve bug bites and poison ivy. It won’t remove the oils that cause the itching but it’ll soothe the bite or rash altogether. The peels are full of polysaccharides, which will seep into skin cells to halt swelling and inflammation within minutes.
5) Meat tenderizer: Add a banana peel to your next roast and it’ll add just enough moisture to ensure that roast doesn’t get too dry. To grill a juicier piece of chicken breast, place a banana peel on top of each breast while cooking. The peel will create a barrier that acts like skin, helping the meat retain its natural juices. Again I have to wonder about the smell or flavour it will give the meat? Very strange... but often recommended.
6) Splinter Removal: Banana peels help ease splinters out of your skin. Place banana peel on a splinter with tape for a while and then try to ease the splinter out.
7) Good for plants: To keep away aphids, as a fertilizer, to feed roses and other plants and for compost.
8) Wart Cure: It only takes 1-2 weeks to remove a wart with a banana peel.
9) Anti-Depressant: Researchers have found that drinking boiled banana peel water (or juicing the peel) can ease depression.
10) Stop a scratched CD or DVD from skipping. If your favourite disc just won't play smoothly, fix it with a banana peel. Rub the back of the disc in a gentle circular motion with the inside of the peel. Wipe off any residue with a soft cloth, then lightly spray the disc with glass cleaner and buff it until it looks clean. The wax in the peel will fill in scratches without harming the plastic finish, so the disc can play sans skips. Going to try this!!
11) Swiftly lift ink stains from skin. Rub the white side onto the discoloured areas and watch the stains disappear. The natural oils in the peel will attract the oils in the ink, weakening the pigment's bond with the skin for easy removal.
There are many uses for fruit and vegetable peels. 90% of them are great for your skin. Take a few minutes to rub it on your face in a circular motion before throwing away. Or blend for a natural homemade face mask.
Hope you benefit from this post.
♡, Sana xx