Wednesday 11 March 2015

Focus




Rating: ●●●

Certification: Language, Sexual Content and Brief Violence

Genre: Crime, Drama, Romance, Comedy

Stars: Will Smith, Margot Robbie

Director: Glenn Ficarra, John Requa

Running time: 105 min

Alert: NO SPOILERS

Synopsis: Conman Nicky trains and becomes romantically involved with novice con artist Jess. As he’s teaching her the tricks of the trade, she gets too close for comfort and he abruptly breaks it off. Three years later, the former flame—now an accomplished femme fatale—shows up in the midst of Nicky’s latest, very dangerous scheme and throws his plans for a loop.

Review: I honestly did not know what this movie was going to be about. When I watched the trailer I thought it was about gambling and looked extremely boring. But upon reading a critic review the words “many plot twists and turns” got me interested. I love twists and turns and movies that keep me on the edge of my seat.

So off I went! And it didn't fail to please. You know the type of movie you are watching, so you suspect everyone and everything of being a scam and try to guess what's going to happen next but somehow they still find a way to get to you. The characters are always two steps ahead and make you feel like you, yourself are being conned.

It’s great until about two thirds of the way. That’s when the movie changes from a crime thriller to a romantic drama… Yawn! This movie had the potential to be Ocean’s Eleven kind of brilliant but they went and made it soppy.

Now, I’m a girly girl who loves love, but I feel this movie didn’t have to go that way. Especially because the relationship between the lead characters wasn’t convincing. You always felt someone was playing someone (as with the scheming theme of the movie) and didn’t believe the love was real. And when it ended you weren’t surprised. So three years later, when seeing her throws him off his game, you’re thinking “But why?”

Nevertheless, this was a great watch and didn’t drag on for too long. The surprises and scams are gripping and opens your eyes to a world of crime you are aware of but didn’t really know.  Hello paranoia! I’ll definitely be holding on to my purse tighter next time I’m out and about.

Side note: Margot Robbie is stunning in this movie and made me feel insecure about myself!!! Ulgh perfection!!!

, Sana xx

No comments:

Post a Comment