Thursday 26 January 2017

Apple Cider VineGREAT!

For my final health instalment this month, I want to talk a little about Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV).

I was introduced to ACV at a very early stage in my life. If you’ve used ACV before you should know that it smells quite rank. When I was younger, my sister drank a tablespoon of it every day and then proceeded to chase me around the house with the spoon (it’s actually quite hilarious now that I think about it).

So yes, I’ve known about its benefits for ages but the odour has always put me off using it. 

ACV is a type of vinegar made from fermented apple juice or apple must. Unpasteurized or organic ACV contains mother of vinegar, which has a cobweb-like appearance and is very healthy.

I know there are many advantages to drinking ACV but I still can’t bring myself to consume it. I frequently use it topically and it really works wonders. I’ve used it for breakouts, rashes, allergies and bug bites and it cleared my skin overnight in most cases.  The scent of the ACV can be camouflaged with lavender, rosemary or even tea tree oils. However, I use the ACV as is (pour it straight onto a cotton pad and wipe the effected area) and the odour evaporates and disappears after a few minutes. Many people dilute ACV with water and use it as a toner.

The benefits of ACV come from its powerful healing compounds which include acetic acid, potassium, magnesium, probiotics and enzymes. Acetic acid has the ability to kill dangerous “bad” bacteria, and at the same time to foster the growth of beneficial “good” bacteria. It essentially acts as a natural antibiotic and naturally provides numerous benefits related to skin, digestion and immunity health without any side effects.

Benefits of consumption

Drinking straight vinegar can erode tooth enamel and even damage the oesophagus, so always dilute vinegar in water before drinking it.

·         Lower Blood Pressure

·         Balances Blood Sugar and Improves Diabetes

·         Reduces Sugar cravings and improves Detoxification

·         Partially blocks the digestion of starches (less sugar is absorbed into the blood stream)

·         Can Support Weight Loss and Metabolism

·         Regulates Your Bodies pH (reduces your risk of chronic and can dramatically increase your energy)

·         Can Treat Acid Reflux and Heartburn

There are many uses of ACV around the household as well. Here’s a cute little infographic by swansonvitamins.com with some of its many uses.

 


Look for cloudy vinegar; this is the sign that the friendly enzymes and bacteria (“mother”) that promote healing have not been removed. One of the most recommended brands I’ve seen is Bragg’s Apple Cider Vinegar. I’m not sure if you get Bragg’s in SA, I buy Earth Products Organic Apple Cider Vinegar.
 
 
Enjoy the bright CIDER life…

, Sana xx

 

No comments:

Post a Comment