Thursday 9 March 2017

Blonde Ambition

When I changed the colour of my hair last year (natural black to blonde), I was scared the texture and overall health of my hair would weaken. Thankfully it didn’t until last month! I used the right products and the only difference I noticed is that my hair takes over 12 hours to dry naturally. This is a real pain as I hate using a blow-dryer and before this my hair used to dry in under 2 hours. Nevertheless, I’d take this small problem over the many other complications people have after dyeing their hair.

I was really confused about what products to buy especially when it came to shampoos and conditioners because everyone had a different opinion and different advice. So here’s a list of what I used and what I do and don’t recommend.

L’Oréal Pure Colour and Volume Shampoo and Conditioner (R139.95* each at Clicks)
 

The shampoo has juniper oil that protects hair from damage. The conditioner has rosemary and mint oil that nourishes and protects coloured hair. Both are enriched with botanical oils and use a non-sulphate system, which leaves your hair healthy and volumized.

 
I loved this set especially because of the non-sulphate element. If you haven’t already heard about the hazards of using products with sulphates please read this great article: What are Sulphates? In a nutshell they strip your hair of the good natural oils and damage the cuticles. This worked well on my hair and I used it in combination with:

Paul Mitchell Platinum Blonde Shampoo (approx. R285.00* online or at any high-end salon)
 
 
Contains cool violet pigments to brighten and enhance blonde, grey or white hair while neutralising yellow tones, diminishing that brassy blonde effect.

Everyone told me to get a silver shampoo. I actually wanted the L’Oréal Professionnel Série Expert Silver Shampoo but couldn’t find it so settled for this one. Silver shampoos are actually purple in colour (why do you have to be so confusing fam?) and basically tone your blonde or silver hair and neutralize unwanted warm tones. You will only understand the importance of this when you have blonde hair! This shampoo was fine. It didn’t do much in terms of nourishing my hair. I didn’t like the bristly feeling after I rinsed it off but my L’Oréal Conditioner fixed that right up. I basically used it as 5 minute leave in treatment every second hair wash. But to be honest my Gentian trick did the same job and is way more affordable! When you’re travelling though, it’s better to take silver shampoo because Gentian is quite delicate and if it messes in your bag you’re screwed!
 

Charles Worthington Colour Enhancer Blonde Shampoo and Conditioner (coming to Clicks)
 
 
 

Enriched with lemon, honey and chamomile, it lifts dull blonde tones whilst visibly boosting shine. With UV filter and colour protection technology, this keeps hair looking radiant and feeling silky soft.

I think the hardest part of having dyed hair is ensuring you cart your products around with you when you travel. I still can’t get used to this and find it very inconvenient. So instead of taking my products with me on my trip to London, I bought these at Boots. They smell amazing!!! The conditioner isn’t as great as the L’Oréal one but I still love it. 

L’Oréal Elvive Colour-Protect Shampoo and Conditioner (R60.00* each at Dischem or Clicks)
 

Colour-Seal Elixir™ helps protect colour from fading and preserves its intensity. UVA/UVB Filters protects coloured hair from external aggressions. Concentrated Nourishment intensely nurtures the hair and smooths its surface.

 
 
 

On my second trip to the UK, I had changed my hair from full blonde to ombre. So I bought this shampoo and conditioner which targets all coloured hair in general not just blonde. I've seen these around for ages. They’re quite basic and affordable. I wasn’t looking for anything exceptional and this was on special so I bought it. And it’s my absolute favourite!!! I like everything about it. I like that it’s inexpensive, it smells good and it makes my hair feel great. No wonder it’s been around for ages, it obviously works! When I moved back to SA, I bought these two again. Whenever I travel I just squeeze some into a mini bottle.

 

Tigi Bed Head Dumb Blonde Shampoo and Reconstructor (DON’T BUY)
 
 

Battles breakage and lifeless colour. This rich lather is packed with tons of nourishing treats to strengthen bleached and multi-processed hair. Let this shampoo fight to work its magic to give you vibrancy and healthy looking hair. A perfect, moisturizing reconstructing blend of nourishing elements, balance bleached and multi-processed hair to get blondes back to looking their brilliant best.
About a month ago, I decided to splurge on some new shampoo and conditioner just to give my hair a treat. I had dyed my hair silver in November, which had now faded away so it was time for some pampering. I came across these products and they had great reviews online so I purchased them.

Well… I regret it with every fibre of my being!! Not only do they smell horrible, they absolutely do NOT make your hair feel good or healthy in any way. My hair feels like straw. It’s terrible. I continued to use it thinking it may take time to work but my hair just got worse. It’s dehydrated and no matter what I do, nothing seems to be helping. I feel like it chemically changed the texture of my hair. I don’t know how and I don’t know if that really happened but that’s the way it feels.

Even a change of shampoos doesn’t seem to be helping. I’m trying different things I find online (I’ll be sharing these experiments) and also oiling it before every wash. I hope it comes right. I will most definitely be leaving a review of my experience on their website. I don’t know how it works for other people it’s nightmare in a bottle… Please don’t buy it.


I hope this has helped my fellow “blondeys” out there.

Watch this space, next week I’ll be trying mayo on my hair!

, Sana xx

*All prices and details are correct at time of publication and are subject to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment